Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Hello from Moscow!

Gail and I made it to Moscow in one piece barely! On our trip from DFW to Atlanta, we were about to land and all of the sudden we are headed up again. Apparently, there was a plane that had crossed the runway we were to land on and was not moving, so the pilot had to abort the landing and take off again! A little scary, but it's what I would call a "do over". We ended up landing without incident and were soon on our way to our flight to Moscow. Our flight leaving Atlanta for Moscow ended up being two hours delayed and then when we finally took off, several hours into the flight, they asked if there was any medical personel on board. Well I didn't jump right up but waited until a flight attendent walked past and asked if they needed a nurse, he indicated they had found a doctor and my services were not needed, yeah for me! Well we came to find out that a passenger on board was very ill with end stage cancer and was coming home to Russia to die and it appeared that she might not make it to Russia to complete that stage; they moved her to the back of the plane and I have no idea what happened to her after we finally arrived. Another incident on board the plane was when another passenger apparently just could not get comfortable in her seat and decided she was going to take a nap on the floor in the aisle of the plane right next to my seat! She layed there for a good 10 -15 minutes before a flight attendent finally made her get up and that was only after threatening her with the pilot making an emergency landing if she did not cooperate!

Well so far it's been a pretty eventful 24 hours, I can only imagine what the next few weeks have in store.

Gail and I are off to window shop and try and stay awake for a few more hours. We are off to Birobidzhan tomorrow, will post from there when we get a moment.

Love to all,
Jane

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Glad you made it safely, though not uneventfully.

When I was coming home from Moscow, with Katya, they called for a doctor/medical person on the plane too. I was hoping someone else would volunteer, and thankfully they did. I had my hands full with my then non-English speaking 7-year old child!

Sad about that woman going home to die. I hope she made it.

Deb said...

What an exciting flight. So glad you made it safe. And I hope the passenger made it home okay.

kate said...

glad you're here--but what an eventful flight! mine are never that exciting.

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

I'm glad you made it safely! (But you had some scary moments!) I hope your travel to Biro. goes well! I know you are excited to see your kids!

Anonymous said...

To anyone that is following Jayne's blog. I have spoke to jayne and gail today Sunday August 19th U.S. time. In Biro it was 10am Monday moring.They are doing fine. There court day is today at 1pm there time and 9pm our time they are nervous but excited. jayne and gail have been interacting with the children as much as they can. they dont have any internet interaction but as soon as they do they will be updating the blog. If i hear anymore before they can update thier profile i will do the best i can

Danigirl said...

Yeah! How exciting. My husband and I can't wait to get "THE CALL" to come back to Russia to bring our girls home. I can't wait to hear more about your time in Moscow and how your court hearing goes. Good luck and keep up the posts.