Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Twenty One Days

Three weeks and we will be off to Russia! This weekend I went to Grapevine Mills Mall and found some great children's shops: Gymboree, Tommy Hilfiger, Gap, The Children's Place and bought the stores out! I got so many cute things, I hope I am right on the sizes, I went up by one size since I was in Russia in November. I am pretty well set on all the kids stuff, now I just need to figure out what I need to take for me. Gail and I are really getting excited about the trip, we can't wait to see the children again. I wonder if the orphanage prepares them for adoption? The people we met in Birobidzhan related to the orphanage all seemed to really care for these kids, so I am hoping they put a positive spin on leaving. We brought all our gifts for the people on our first trip, so we don't need to do that again although I will be bringing some special things for some key people that we were close with. Our airline tickets have been purchased (anybody know any tricks to upgrading to Business Class?), we'll be staying at the President Hotel in Moscow and the Hotel Vostok in Birobidzhan, still waiting to receive our visa's back. I did find out from the travel agency that there will be two other families in Biro at the same time we are there, so hopefully we will get together with them. As much as I love my sister, too much togetherness can breed contempt! So having other people to talk to will be a welcome relief for both of us! We're trying to figure out what we can take as far as food, we had a hotpot in our room last time, so we figure oatmeal and soup would probably work, anybody have any other suggestions? We really didn't care for the food in the restaurants last time, so we want to be prepared. I met with a Pediatrician last week and although he was a nice and competent doctor, I didn't feel like he would be the Pedi for us, so I have a few more referrals and will be speaking with them in the next couple of weeks. Still have to buy the car seats, I think I settled on the Britax brand, although I am not certain which model yet. That's all for now.

Love,
Jane

SBP: I received your card and gift!! Thank you so much! I love it and can't wait till I get my first issue! You are very sneaky, still can't figure out who you are!

6 comments:

Becky and Keith said...

I'm so excited for you! From what I've read, the Britax Boulevard seems to be the best and a friend's relative works as a police officer and apparently that is what they've deemed the "best". Something about it's side impact? Beats me - I have yet to buy one, but I plan on either going with the Boulevard or Marathon. I've also hear that the Britax is much more comfortable for boys, if you know what I mean. :-) I can't wait to read all about your upcoming trip!
Best wishes! Becky
P.S. Love the "breed contempt" comment about your sister. I, too, have a sister and I love her to death but 21 days and we'd be a bit tired of each other!

Deb said...

Sounds like you're just about ready to go pick up your children.

I love Grapevine Mills Mall. Children's Place and Disney are my 2 favorites!

Lisa said...

Food suggestions: dried fruit and nuts. Pringles. Granola bars, peanut butter (buy bread there), snack cakes (I like the oatmeal ones).

You can buy better chocolate there.

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

Yea, Jane! You're getting so close! I bet you had sooo much fun shopping for your kids! I can't wait to do that!

We have one carseat that my parents got us, and it is a Britax Decathalon. It goes up to 65 lbs. It had great reviews.

That's great that other families will be there with you! You all can provide great support for each other.

By the way, we looked at upgrading to Business Class when my husband went to Russia in April, and the price increase was outrageous (several thousand dollars more!) Hopefully, you will have better options than we had.

kate said...

We want to see pictures of all your new purchases!

You can get dried fruit, nuts and Pringles (sometimes they're called Cracks) here. But, some granola bars or powerbars would be a good thing to pack. What are your comfort foods? Were you able to get to the grocery stores or did you just eat in cafes on your last trip?

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane! So happy to read your blog and the good news about your upcoming trip. I've been racking my brain trying to remember the site to find out the status ... something happened with my email and I lost EVERYTHING!!! I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Happy journey to Russia!