Saturday, June 21, 2008

Working and babysitter issues


This working full time and being a mom is hard stuff! I am back to work full time for two weeks now and I have also gone to babysitter H*&l! I had a post all ready to go about a week ago on what a great babysitter I had found (after two others had backed out), how she is from Russia originally and is this wonderful, outgoing, smart, beautiful 20 year old college student. I felt like I was looking into the future a little with Caroline as the babysitter came to the U.S. when she was Caroline's age and she looked so much like Caroline. But, I deleted the post right after she called and told me she would be quitting the end of this week! Yes, she lasted a whopping two weeks! I can't really blame her as she got an internship back in Kansas (she goes to KU and was home for the summer) to work with behaviorally challenged kids; heck, she could have gotten her college credits and internship credit by just staying and working with my kids in my home! So, I am back to square one with childcare issues. I am going to have to piece them together for the rest of the summer, it will be a challenge, but I'll make it work.

Caroline is thriving in summer school! She is at the top of her class! Considering it is only 10 kids, I don't know if that is a great achievement, but I'll take it. She only has two more weeks, I kind of wish it went all summer since she is doing so well and loves it, but she probably needs a little break. After school is finished, she will go to the YMCA summer day camp and will get swimming lessons which she desperately needs, she sinks like a rock in the pool with no floaties on! So that will be good for her. Both kids are so sad that our babysitter is not coming back, they really liked her and she was so good with them. All I heard every day was how Ali is so pretty and she has 4 earrings in one ear and an earring in her belly button! Needless to say, Caroline now desperately wants her ears pierced. The reward for her if she learns to swim this summer is her Troycha Gail taking her to get her ears pierced! I just won't do it as I can't stand to see her in pain! Dear God, the girl starts crying when we are even on the same street as her doctor (she thinks she is going to get shots), even if we are just passing by!

That's it for now, keep your fingers crossed all these childcare issues fall into place!

4 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, too bad about the babysitter. But, at least she didn't leave because she couldn't handle your kids! We are without our Russian tutor this summer. She's also a college student, and scored a summer internship at the United Nations. So, I'm very happy for her, but boo-hoo for us!

I'm surprised Katya has never asked about getting her ears pierced. She has little to no fear of anything, so I'd think she'd be up for it, but I guess it just hasn't occurred to her, and that's fine with me!

Good luck working everything out for summer!

Jane and Jim said...

Oh, I hope everything works out for you this summer. I can only imagine how hard it is to work full-time with two little ones...ugh, I'm not looking forward to that part!

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

It sounds like you had the perfect set-up, and I'm sure that was so disappointing to lose your babysitter! I hope something else works out soon! I'm glad to hear Caroline is doing so well in school!

Troy and Rachel said...

What a great photo of Chase! I understand the baby sitting blues. I had one lined up who just never showed up or returned my calls. Glad she's gone - but it is hard to find someone you can totally trust these days. I'll be thinking about you.