Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Finally, someone is listening!

We met with the child psychiatrist last week and it took him all of 30 minutes to listen to me and watch Chase and tell me: "Your son could probably benefit from some low dose medication"! Dear Lord, I have been saying this for 8.5 months and finally someone heard me and saw what I see every day! The doctor put him on a low dose of Focalin and gave me pretty liberal dosing instructions. I can go up or down depending on his reaction to it. So far we are on the recommended dose of 2.5mg and it seems to be working. His teachers have indicated that he is listening, paying attention and following directions. His distractibility has decreased significantly and he will actually sit and watch sesame street for longer than 30 seconds! I haven't really seen any of the side effects which include a decreased appetite and sleeping issues, he still eats like a horse (two helpings of spaghetti last night) and sleeps just fine. We still have lots to work on, but this hopefully will only help.

5 comments:

Lauri said...

yeah... it must feel so good to get the validation you have been seeking

hope all goes well

Rachael said...

Must be a HUGE relief to you. Hope it continues to go well, I'll be interested to hear how he does with it.

Troy and Rachel said...

Persistance pays off. Good for you for sticking to your guns!! Hope things continue to only get better from here on out.

Susan said...

I was just checking in to see how the appointment went. Thank goodness the doctor listened. Now that Chase has the meds to help him focus, you can start to work on the other things and hopefully see a difference, but what a big sigh of relief you must have let out!

Becky and Keith said...

I'm just catching up and YAY! I'm SO glad to see someone listened to you. You're a good mom to keep pushing until your little guy got help!