Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Just a whole lotta frustration

Why is it so hard to get what you think is best for your child? I had the big follow up meeting on all the evaluations on Chase and basically they didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. They would not come to the conclusion that he is ADHD. I don't understand why they couldn't see it. The kid moves constantly, has an attention span of a flea and cannot focus on anything for longer than 1 minute and yet they want to blame everything on where he has been. They recommended family therapy and parenting classes. Now come on, he is doing great with attachment, he has come such a long way with that, even they could not find anything "abnormal" with his attachment to me. But yet when it comes to his horrific behavior (and it has been horrible lately) they wouldn't/couldn't say that it is because he is constantly unfocused. How is he supposed to focus on being a "good boy" when he is physically unable to do so?? Needless to say I was really disheartened at the outcome of this and so was anybody and everybody that interacts with Chase on a continual basis. After I settled down from all this I called them back and had to basically beg for a different opinion; they finally relented and agreed after much discussion to refer him to their child psychiatrist for possible ADHD, but get this, we can't even get in until June, possible late May if they have a cancellation. In the meantime, while we wait to hear back when our appointment is, he is acting out terribly at school. He is back to using Russian swear words, calling his teachers the Russian word for B*%^ch! Even singing it at the top of his lungs! He is throwing things, not listening, running off, you name it, he has done it. And everyday, he comes out of school and tells me "I do better tomorrow mommy" and the next day it's worst than the day before. I don't want to seem like I am a huge advocate for drugging my kid, but where there is definitely a need, I would like to at least see it tried on him to see if it even works.

Sorry for the slow blogging lately, I know everyone has been calling and wanting to know the outcome of his evals, but I am just so frustrated/depressed about all this I just needed a little break.

This little boy is so beautiful and so special and has so much potential if we could just get beyond all this other stuff. I know there is an answer out there, they just make it so darned hard to find it!

3 comments:

Rachael said...

Oh, Jane...

I'm looking for your email address and I'll say a bit more.

Lauri said...

Hugs...why is it that professionals just wont say adhd at this age.. they want to wait & see and that is really hard.

At a recent meeting Livi's teacher said that she has seen worse in the way of implusive behavior.. as if that is supposed to help me any?


I agree... if Chase really wants to comply, wants to be good, tries but cant physically control himself than its time to try other methods.

hang in there.. your not alone

Linda said...

Sounds like my nephew at that age. He wanted so badly to be good but couldn't do it without the help of meds. He told me at age 4 that having ADHD was "like almost being bad all the time". So poignant! Good luck to you in getting the help that Chase needs.